Thursday, May 22, 2008

Bengaluru (Bangalore) Fast Food

Casa Piccola : 26, CMH Road, Bangalore - 560038., : Phone : 5258823. :
Casa Piccola : Devatha Plaza, Residency Road, : Phone : 2212907. : Bangalore - 560025
Casa Piccola : Westminister, Cunningham Road, : Phone : 2203330. : Bangalore - 560052
Corner House : Firdaus Complex, 44/1, Residency Road, : Phone : 5292005, 5583262. : Bangalore - 560025
Indiana Fast Food : 9, St. Patrick's Complex, Residency Road, : Phone : 5585966. : Bangalore 560025
Kentucky Fried Chicken : 4, Brigade Road, Bangalore - 560001., : Phone : 5598782. :
Mac Fast Food : Church Street, Bangalore 560001., Phone : 5588056. : :
Nilgiris Restaurant : Golden Enclave, Airport Road, : Phone : 5266955. : Bangalore - 560071
Pizza Delight : 300, 5th Cross, 6th Block, Koramangala, : Phone : 5530467. : Bangalore - 560095
Stars And Stripes : 2, St.Partick's Church Complex, Brigade Road, : Phone : 5548425. : Bangalore - 560001
The Only Place : Mota Royal Arcade, 158, Brigade Road, : Phone : 5588678. : Bangalore - 560001
Wimpy's : 50, Brigade Road, Bangalore - 560001., : Phone : 5588783. :
Aden`s Fast Food : Address : Ejipuramainroad Viveknagar : Phone : 5716536 : Pin : 560047
Family Bakery : Address : 16/2 3rd Main Vannarpet : Phone : 5542745 : Pin : 560047
Hot Breads : Address : No.83 Copperarch : Phone : 5591848 : Pin : 560001
Indian Bakery : Address : 8 Near State Bank Of India Hal Market Complex : Phone : 5279602 : Pin : 560017
Indian Store Bakery : Address : Ejipura Main Road Viveknagar : Phone : 5716095 : Pin : 560047
Iyengar`s Bakery : Address : 145, M.M. Road : Phone : 5483228 : Pin : 560005
Iyengars Bakery : Address : No-39/213,Remco-Lyt Vijayanagar : Phone : 3352827 : Pin : 560040
M.S. Bakery : Address : Crpuramextesnion Gundappa Meet Road : Phone : 5477831 : Pin : 560084
Magnolia Confectioners : Address : 37, 8th Main, 2nd Cross Vasanthnagar : Phone : 2255267 : Pin : 560052
Pink Panther : Address : G-7 Ramashree Chambers Lady Curzon Road : Phone : 5592404 : Pin : 560001
Surabhi Fast Food : Basaveshwarnagar : Phone : 3201966 : Pin : 560079
Sweet Chariot : Address : 11 Brigade Road : Phone : 5580729 : Pin : 560001
Thom`s Bakery and Super Market : Address : 1/2 Wheeler Road : Phone : 5301860 : Pin : 560005
Vishnu Sagar : Address : 186/2 S.E.Rd Sheshadripuram : Phone : 3442514 : Pin : 560020
Anand Sweets and Savouries Frazer Tn : Address : 7/1 Hainees Rd : Phone : 5301555 : Pin : 560005
Cafe Tip Top : Address : 24 9th Main Road : Phone : 6631546 : Pin : 560011
Cake Basket : Address : 2, Kumarapark East Kumarkrupa Road : Phone : 2258704 : Pin : 560001
Cake Pack Bakery : Address : 52/2, 17th Crs, Mc Layout : Phone : 3387161 : Pin : 560040
Cakes and Flakes : Address : 100 5th Block 5th Cross,KORAMANGALA : Phone : 5534843 : Pin : 560095
SHANTI SAGAR : C.M.H. ROAD : Phone:2918799 :
SUKH SAGAR : C.M.H. ROAD : Phone:2202255 :
M.T.R. : J.C.ROAD : Phone:2220022 :
CADAMBAM : M.G.ROAD : Phone:6548852 :
SAMRAT : RACE COURSE ROAD : Phone:2261996 :
AIRLINES : LAVELLE ROAD : Phone:6640150 :
MEGH SAGAR : INDIRANAGAR : Phone:5250110 :
ADIGAS : JAYANAGAR : Phone:6531570 :
PAVITHRA : JAYANAGAR : Phone:6704524 :
ICE N SPICE : ST.MARKS ROAD : Phone:2211094 :
KABAB CORNER : ST.MARKS ROAD : Phone:5520404 :
KONARK : RESIDENCY ROAD : Phone:2240865 :
AMRUTH : ST.MARKS ROAD : Phone:2214988 :
KOSHY'S : RICHMOND ROAD,BLORE -560025 : Phone:2213793 :
V.B.BAKERY : V.V.PURAM : Phone:3321772 :
SAGAR'S : RAJAJINAGAR : Phone:3300771 :

Bengaluru (Bangalore) Clubs Information

BANASHANKARI RECREATION CENTER Address: 296,3rd phase,3rd stg,BSK Pin: 560085Members :550
BANGALORE BONSAI CLUB Address: 167, RV Road, VV Puram, Pin: 560 004Members :500
BANGALORE CITY INSTITUTE Address: 5th Main, Chamarajpet, Pin: 560 018Members :1500
BANGALORE CLUB Address: Residency Road Pin: 560 025Members :5000
BANGALORE GOLF CLUB Address: High Grounds Pin: 560 001Members :2400
BANGALORE VIHARA KENDRA Address: 8, Banashankari 2nd Stage Pin: 560 070Members :2100
BG TURF CLUB LTD Address: Race Course Road Pin: 560 001Members :350
BOWRING INSTITUTE Address: St Mark's Institute Pin: 560 001Members :3200
CATHOLIC CLUB Address: 22, Museum Road Pin: 560 025Members :2000
CENTURY CLUB Address: Cubbon Park Pin: 560 001Members :3000
COSMOPOLITAN CLUB Address: 22nd Cross, 3rd Block, Jayanagar, Pin: 560 011Members :2000
COUNTRY CLUB Address: 65, Chikka Begur, Hosur Road, Pin: 560 068Members :2600
EAST CULTURAL ASSOCIATION Address: 8, 100 feet Road, HAL 2nd Stage, Indiranagar, Pin: 560 038Members :1100
ESTATE CLUB Address: Gulimangala, Huskur Road, 19th KM, off Hosur Rd. Pin: 562 1158Members :1600
GYMKHANA CLUB Address: No5,Wheelers Road, Cox Town Pin: 560005Members :800
INDIRANAGAR CLUB Address: 9th Main, 4th Cross, Indiranagar 2nd Stage Pin: 560 008Members :2500
J P CLUB Address: Site NoCA1,ITI Layout,Kathriguppa,BSK III Stg Pin: 560085Members :1550
KARNATAKA GOLF ASSOCIATION Address: 210 Airport Road, Kodihalli, Pin: 560 017Members :2500
KARNATAKA STATE BILLIARDS ASSOCIATION Address: 5, MTB Road Pin: 560 001Members :1500
KARNATAKA STATE CRICKET ASSOCIATION Address: M Chinnaswamy Stadium, MG Road, Pin: 560 001Members :600
KODAVA SAMAJ RECREATION CLUB Address: Vasant Nagar Pin: 560 052Members :650
LADIES CLUB Address: Infantry Club Pin: 560 001Members :250
MALLESHWARAM ASSOCIATION Address: 7th Cross, Malleswaram Pin: 560 003Members :1600
MANIPAL COUNTY Address: 65,Singasandra, Off Hosur Road Pin: 560068Members :650
RAJMAHAL VILAS CLUB Address: CA3,15th cross, 3rd main, RMV II stg Pin: 560094Members :850
ROTARY CLUB Address: 40/1, Lavelle Road Pin: 560 001Members :2200
SADASIVANAGAR CLUB Address: 15th cross, Sadashivanagar Pin: 560080Members :1300
THE CLUB Address: Mysore Road Pin: 560 039Members :1500
THE DOMINION Address: Near Jakkur Flying Club, Allalsandra,Bellary Rd. Pin: 560 065Members :750
THE KORAMANGALA CLUB Address: CA17, 6th Cross, 6th Block,Koramangala Pin: 560 095Members :1800

Monday, May 19, 2008


The tale of Bengaluru (now Bangalore) getting it's name from 'Bende Kaalu Ooru' meaning 'Town of boiled beans' after King Veera Ballala II of the Hoysala dynasty in 1120 AD was fed boiled beans by an old woman in the forest is historically incorrect. The name 'Bengaluru' was recorded much before King Ballala's time in a 9th century inscription found in a temple in Begur village near Bangalore.
Bangalore was founded by Kempe Gowda I, who in 1537 AD built a mud fort in an area which is now K.R Market, Avenue Road and it's nearby areas. Kempe Gowda built 8 gates for this fort:

• Yelahanka Gate (present Mysore Bank Square).
• Yeshwantpur Gate (near Upparapet police station).
• Kengiri Gate (now a police station is named after it).
• Halasoor (Ulsoor) Gate. (now a police station is named after it).
• Kanakanahalli Gate (near Vokkaligara Sangha Bldg).
• Sonde Koppa Gate.
• Anekal Gate.
• Delhi Gate (at the Fort in K.R Market, which was rebuilt in stone by Hyder Ali). Inside the fort, he built the localities (pets) of Balepet, Aralepet (Cottonpet), Chickpet, Doddapet (Avenue Road), Upparapet, etc.
To this day these areas bear their old names, and serve as major wholesale & commercial markets.
Kempe Gowda II came to power in 1585 and it was he who set the limit for Bangalore's expansion by erecting 4 watch towers. These Watch towers still exists and are known as the Kempe Gowda Towers.
In 1638, the army of Adil Shah, the Sultan of Bijapur, led by Ranadulla Khan & Shahaji Bhonsle (Shivaji's father) captured Bengaluru fort. Kempe Gowda II was then forced to retreat to Magadi, from where he and his successors ruled as Magadi Rulers. Magadi was later annexed to Mysore Kingdom in 1728.
Bangalore was gifted twice as a Jagir and sold once. In 1638 AD, Adil Shah gifted it to Shahaji Bhonsle, thus starting the Maratha rule of Bangalore. In 1689, the Mughals captured Bangalore from the Marathas and sold it to Chikka Devaraja Wodeyar of Mysore for 3 lakh pagodas (gold coins). In 1759, Hyder Ali, commander of Mysore's army, received Bangalore as a Jagir from Krishnaraja Wodeyar II. Later Hyder Ali declared himself ruler of Mysore Kingdom after Krishnaraja Wodeyar II's death. Bangalore returned to the Wodeyars after Hyder's son, Tippu Sultan, died in 1799 fighting the British.
The British established the post of 'Mysore Resident' of Mysore Kingdom in 1799 and appointed Col.Sir Barry Close as the first Resident. In 1804 The Mysore Resident was shifted from Mysore to Bangalore. The Resident's office & house known as 'The Residency' was first situated in the SACRED HEARTS SCHOOL (GOOD SHEPHERD CONVENT) building opp St.Joseph's college in Bangalore. It also housed a jail, while the site across the road where convicts were hanged now houses the ST. JOSEPH'S COLLEGE. Many a ghost was seen wandering about before the College came up! The Road along the 'Residency' came to be called 'RESIDENCY ROAD' and even today it's known as Residency Road though officially it has been changed to 'Gen. Cariappa Road'. In fact 'The Residency' later in 1881 shifted to what is today the RAJ BHAVAN, but Residency Road has retained it's name ever since 1804 (now 200 years).
The Raj Bhavan in Bangalore was built in 1840s & owned by Sir Mark Cubbon, who was Commissioner then. Cubbon was passionately fond of Arabian horses and used to keep at least fifty horses in his stable here. Lewin Benthem Bowring who succeeded Cubbon as Commissioner purchased the bungalow with its vast estate in 1862 for the British Govt to be used as the official Commissioner's Bunglow. Later when the post of Commissioner was abolished, the Resident came to stay here and it came to be known as 'The Residency'. But the road still was known as Commissioner's Road, that is the reason why the road on the old Residency building continued to be known as 'Residency Road'.
In 1806, the British established a new CANTONMENT AREA in Bangalore (at Ulsoor) for it's army and called it the 'Civil & Military Station'. Till India's independence this Cantonment area was ruled directly by the British. Thus Bangalore comprised of two separate areas, to the West, Bangalore (Pettah) administered by the Mysore Maharaja, and to the East, Bangalore Cantonment,
administered as a separate unit by the British Govt through the Resident. Soon the Cantonment area became not only a military base for the British army & it's family, but also a settlement for a large number of Europeans, Anglo-Indians, missionaries, and Tamil speaking workers & traders from the neighbouring British controlled Madras Presidency. This is why the Cantonment area is today dominated by Tamilians.
The Cantonment area under the British consisted of Shoolay, Blackpully (now SHIVAJINAGAR), The Parade (M.G ROAD AREA), St. John's Hill, Fraser Town, Benson Town, Cleveland Town, Cox Town, Richard's Town, Ulsoor, Knoxpet (Murphy Town), Agram, Richmond Town, Langford Town, Austin Town (named after British Resident, Sir James Austin Bourdillon), Whitefield (Anglo-Indian Colony created in 1882), etc. Even today these Suburbs still exist. The names given to the roads in the Cantonment were according to the military arrangement and campus. Thus, there was Artillery Rd, Brigade Rd, Infantry Rd, Cavalry Rd, South Parade (now M.G ROAD), East Parade (near Mittal Towers), etc. The heart of the city in those days was the so called MacIver Town, the area around South Parade, St. Mark's Road, Brigade Road and Cubbon Road.
The Shoolay area (now Ashoknagar) still has streets named Wood Street, Castle Street, etc. The name 'SHOOLAY CIRCLE', however, still exsits near Brigade Towers. The famous Shoolay Police Station of the Cantonment was renamed Ashoknagar Police Station and now it has been demolished.
COLES PARK is named after British Resident of Mysore Kingdom, Arthur.H.Cole, who was Resident from 1809 - 1812 and again from 1818 - 1827.
The British Cantonment area was also a host to SIR WINSTON CHURCHIL, the future British Prime Minister who stayed in Bangalore from 1897 to 1900.
In 1892, new extensions were added to the old town of Bangalore (Pettah) by creating CHAMARAJPET (named after Chamarajendra Wodeyar) and SHESHADRIPURAM (named after the Mysore Diwan Sir K. Sheshadri Iyer).
In 1898, a plague broke out in Bangalore. The Bangalore Administration at once laid out 2 new bigger extensions to the City to meet the demand that had risen due to people being forced to leave their original areas that were affected. This resulted in laying out a suburb, named BASAVANGUDI after the Basaveswara (Bull God) Temple (also called Bull Temple) erected by Kempe Gowda I and another suburb, named MALLESWARAM, after the Kadu Malleshwara (Siva) Temple in the old Mallapura village.
In 1901, VICTORIA HOSPITAL was established in commemoration of Queen Victoria of England's Diamond Jubilee.
In 1902, VANIVILAS HOSPITAL & SCHOOL was opened and the Road was also named VANIVILAS ROAD in memory of Maharani Vani Vilas Sannidhana, the Queen Regent of Mysore.
In 1905, Bangalore became the first city in India to get electrical power.
During the post-Independence period KUMARA PARK area came into existence in 1947, JAYANAGAR was inaugurated in 1948, and at Binnamangala was created the INDIRANAGAR extension during the late 1960s.
The large stone building on Residency Road, now housing L.I.C adjacent to Devatha Plaza once housed The Reserve Bank of India. The present canteen of L.I.C was once the strongroom of the bank!
One wonders why in the old records there is a reference to 'CENOTAPH ROAD' in Bangalore when there is none to be seen. Cenotaph Road is today the NRUPATHUNGA ROAD named after Kanada poet Nrupathunga. The Cenotaph (Tomblike monument), was there at what is now the Corporation Circle. This Cenotaph was built in memory of Lt. Col. Moorhouse, Capt. Delany and about 50 soldiers who died in the siege in 1791, besides soldiers who died in different wars with Tipu Sultan till 1799. This monument was destroyed on Oct 28th 1964, by the Bangalore City Corporation and even the engraved stones are not to be traced! Only one broken small section piece has been located in the Corporation compound, used as a bench.
CUBBON PARK is named after Sir Mark Cubbon, who was the British Commissioner of Mysore Kingdom from 1834 to 1861. Sir Mark, incidentally, had never set his eyes on the park. He left India in April 1861, and died on his way back home at Suez on 23rd April 1861. Cubbon Park was planned in 1864 by Sir Richard Sankey, the then Chief Engineer of Mysore (SANKEY TANK & SANKEY ROAD is named after Richard Sankey). The park was initially known as 'Meades Park' after John Meade, the then acting Commissioner of Mysore. Subsequently it was rechristened as Chamarajendra Park in 1927 and later came to be known as Cubbon Park.
CHURCH STREET at M.G's is called so, because the road used to lead directly to St.Marks Church. At one time the compound of the Church was much bigger and the Church could be seen as you walked along Church Street.
MUSEUM ROAD next to Church Street was named so since the Museum was located there before it was shifted to the present Kasturba Road in 1866.
MAYO HALL at M.G Road was erected in memory of Lord Mayo, the Governor-General of India who was assassinated in the Andamans in 1872. Built with public subscription it was handed over to the Municipal Commission in 1883.
LALBAGH (meaning Red Garden) is not the original name of the famous garden in Bangalore, which was established by Hyder Ali in 1760 as a mango garden. In earlier records it was referred to as the Mango Tope & the Cypress Garden. The reason why people started calling it Lalbagh was due to the fact that Hyder & Tipu had a beautiful garden called Lalbagh at their capital, Srirangapatna.
THE HOLY TRINITY CHURCH at Trinity Circle, at the end of M.G Road, was earlier the British Army's Garrison church, opened in 1851. The beauty of Trinity Church is not only in it's tall tower & unparalleled pillars, but also the British military memorials inside.
In 1868 the construction of Attara Kacheri (present High Court) was completed. The Secretariat (with 18 revenue departments) was shifted to Attara Kacheri from Tippu's Palace at K.R Market. Attara Kacheri literally means '18 Courts/Offices'.
The TAJ WEST END HOTEL is the oldest Hotel in Bangalore and still maintains some of it's earlier memories!! The original Proprietors were Spencer & Co Ltd, Madras. Today it's owned by the Taj Group of Hotels.